Sunday, April 10, 2011

PurrView #5 - Artifice, Downtown Las Vegas

    Artifice, located just about two steps off the beaten path in Old Downtown Las Vegas (the beaten path being Charleston Blvd.& Main St.), is yet another addition to the area that denotes the progression and artistic passion that is flourishing in our local arts district. It took a bit of glancing around and a quick U-turn once I'd realized I'd past it, but it was right where everyone had said it would be. Its address being 1025 First Street, #A, Artifice's location was not recognizeable by my GPS, which hadn't been updated in about 5 months.... Talk about a fresh spot, eh? Well, upon approaching and entering, the feeling that it wasn't a fresh, new spot enveloped me. Rather, the joint felt like it already had an established soul, and from the outside had an inviting grimy appeal to it, perhaps largely in part because of the fluorescent sign with one letter burned out. Whether it burned out on its own, or the owner(s) meant to do that, it was definitely enough to make me want to turn the white metal door knob to open the big black, metal door and check this place out.

    When I walked in, a cool, collected gentleman looking very apropos and giving off a calm, yet strong energy was leaning with his back against the wall. He gave me a nod and asked how I was doing. I returned his salutation by politely flashing him my "friendly" smile and replying, "Good!.. Thank you". He then held his hands up to form the classic sign with the fingers that says, " 'Need to see your I.D."

   "Oh, of course! I couldn't tell if you were a patron or a staff member," I smiled. Carl introduced himself and courteously smiled and replied that that made him glad. I got the clear impression that this is how Artifice wants to be seen by their patrons: as one of them.

    I took a seat at the bar and feasted my eyes upon my surroundings in Artifice. The wooden (semi-weathered looking) floors, the black-on-black vintage wallpaper pattern on modern wall paneling, the hollowed out television sets, and of course, the paintings hung about the establishment made me feel like I was at a hot gallery-opening party. In conversing with a fellow customer, the buzz I heard was that the art hanging around us would subsequently change, as Artifice even has a curator of sorts. I hope that's true, because the great vibe I felt at this establishment would be wonderfully complimented by fresh, new art and works of area artists continuously moving through there. The DJ was on point for the general atmosphere, vibe, and clientele that comfortably filled the spaces of this lounge. Surrounding conversation pieces as well as friendly, attentive staff, such as bartender P.J. upheld the raw, yet polished; industrial, yet organic aura of the place.

    The wrap-around bar, a dance floor (that any hipster would be happy to shake it on), disco ball, separate room sound systems and many other attentions to detail were evident and kept a good flow of energy moving through the space. A lot of heart, ardor and character seems to have gone into this establishment. And even though I wish they stayed open later than 1am, I have a feeling I'll be spending quite a bit of my near future there. Whether I'm in the mood to grab a fairly priced cocktail, gaze at some art, or just socialize in a conversation area that provides good music, comfort, and style, Artifice can satisfy those moods. After all, as my personal "PurrView" is Music, Art, Eclecticism... I must say that Artifice beholds all three of these things, and does so in a tasteful manner.

~Meow~
Pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment