Wednesday, April 6, 2011

PurrView #4 - The National

I'm not referring to a political organization, per se. If only politics could bestow such magnificence upon the ears of listeners, as does (the band) The National; how great this nation could be!

http://www.americanmary.com/ <~~ official site of The National

The National is a five man band hailing from Brooklyn, New York by way of Cincinnati, Ohio roots. Fronted by the distinctly baritone, Matt Berninger, the band also consists of Aaron Dessner (piano, guitar, bass), Bryce Dessner (guitar), Scott Devendorf (guitar, bass), and Bryan Devendorf (drums). If you happen to be noticing some sort of pattern, that's because the name-matches are representative of two sets of brothers, adding yet another interesting element to this already-stimulating musical phenomenon of a band.

Their phenomenal chemistry began when they formed in 1999. And now, five full-length albums later in 2011 and currently signed with 4AD Records, they are constantly making cherished appearances at festivals worldwide (like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Reading & Leeds) on late night TV shows, at charity events, etc., all in addition to their (consistently sold out) own touring. Their sound encompasses such descriptive terms as bleak, joyful, traditional, non-conforming, radiant, dark, sensitive and masculine. Their collective cadence-- reminiscent at times of a strong, pumping heart and at others like a sick, down-trodden heart with a pained murmur-- guarantees that they unfailingly deliver modern day masterpiece after masterpiece. Matt Berninger's lyrics can be intricately deceiving; as a light, upbeat song that he seems to be singing with maybe a hint of a smile might consist of dreary words like, "...another uninnocent, elegant fall into the unmagnificent lives of adults...".

Upon first hearing The National (and Matt Berninger's murky yet velvety voice), one might be reminded of the sounds of Johnny Cash, or perhaps even Joy Division. But once a closer listen is taken to this band, you find that their own personalized sound; their mystical, hypnotizing sound takes you over like very few acts can, and you literally, clinically need MORE.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't biased. I am from the Cincinnati, Ohio area myself. But I am truthful when I say that no other Ohio-raised group has stolen my heart and captivated me as does The National. If you've never had a taste of The National, a good start would be to check out the video for "Mistaken for Strangers" or "Fake Empire."


Whether you decide to pick up Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, Boxer, or any of their 5 albums (and at least 2 EPs), you can rest-assured that you will not regret paying even full price for the gift of their smooth-tasting, goosebump-giving indie sound. Though I have yet to see The National live myself, that thirst will finally be quenched on April 19, 2011 when I travel all the way from Las Vegas, Nevada to Tulsa, Oklahoma to see them. I can't say I've ever flown this far before just to see one band. And to top off the experience, the venue in Tulsa is the home of Bob Wills, the quintessential CBGB of the midwest; the historic, Cain's Ballroom. If you happen to see me there, please do come up and pinch me.... just so I know it's not a dream.

~Meow~
Pennies

No comments:

Post a Comment